Top Outdoor Activities to Discover the Algarve’s Outstanding Scenery
The diverse landscape of the Algarve goes hand-in-hand with adventure travel, and visitors can admire the extraordinary landscapes from a variety of activity based excursions, on land and sea.
The miscellany of terrain to explore is diverse. The scenery changes dramatically from the white sand beaches fringed by ochre coloured cliffs of the southern coastline, to the rugged west-coast with its picturesque blue-and-white fishing villages. Inland, the undeveloped rural topography offers up verdant woodland and rippling valleys. Whilst the extensive sandy flat-lined beaches of the south eastern coast have barrier islands and protected natural parks teaming with wildlife.
For a birds-eye view of the Algarve that is sure to offer a new perspective of the region, visitors can set the heart racing with perhaps the most thrilling extreme activity of them all: skydiving. The Longevity Cegonha Country Club offers three levels of experiences – the ‘daredevil tandem’, the ‘adrenaline tandem’ and the ‘extreme tandem’. Guests are whisked up to 14,000ft on a fast turbine aircraft, before taking off and descending upon a remarkable view over the region.
Details for the Skydiving experience with Longevity Cegonha Country Club can be found here:
To discover life below the ocean, diving down to the region’s only Ocean Revival Park and exploring the four decommissioned vessels from the Portuguese navy is an exciting experience offered by Vila Galé hotel in Lagos. Guests of the hotel can delve into largest single artificial reef structure in the world, following a personal diving lesson at the hotel’s swimming pool to become acquainted with the essential equipment and technique.
Details on the Discovery Scuba Experience with Vila Galé Hotel can be found here:
For a heightened injection of adrenaline, visitors will enjoy the freedom and speed of driving a custom motorbike taking in the sheer variation of landscapes around them. Soulful Bikes’ Barrocal route is set across a protected natural sub-region of the Algarve and a great opportnity to admire the undulating countryside. The full-day experience comes with a concierge who will point out the important cultural landmarks along the way. This route takes guests through the pictureque towns of Alcoutim, Tavira, Alte, Silves and Foia.
Details on the Barrocal Motorbike Experience with Soulful Bikes can be found here:
For nature and wildlife enthusiasts, the Four Seasons Country Club in Quinta do Lago offer a self-guided tour whereby guests can explore the diverse landscapes of the region at their own pace, with an E-Bike. A highlight of this tour could be an exploration of one of the natural wonders of Portugal, the Ria Formosa Natural Park. Covering 16,000-hectares, one can spot a wide variety of wildlife from flamingos to the Mediterranean chameleon and the world’s largest seahorse community.
Details on the E-bike self-guided tour with the Four Seasons Country Club can be found here:
A new website provides a useful online resource for those looking to explore the region by bike or on foot. CyclingWalkingAlgarve provides details of numerous marked trails in the Algarve that showcase the varied scenery and historical villages of this beautiful part of Portugal. For those that like to incorporate history into a hike, the one from Bordeira to the Sea is a great opportunity to explore the picturesque parish of Bordeira in Aljezur.
Details on the available hikes and cycling routes in the Algarve can be found here:
Visitors can admire the gold-tinted cliffs on the southern coast by boat with Algar Experience, who offer a cruise along the Algarvian coastline, passing by some of the most emblematic beaches such as the Praia da Marinha and Praia do Carvalho before stopping at Benagil, hailed as ‘the world’s most beautiful cave’. Also to view are several impressive rock formations, stacks and caves that Lagos is famous for. The glass panels on the boat offer the chance to catch a glimpse of marine life below.
Details on the Coasts and Coastline Cruise with Algar Experience can be found here:
Before or even following a long day of exciting exploration in the region, inner-zen can be restored with Vila Vita Parc Resort’s yoga experiences. The resort offers several yoga classes from Wake Up Yoga (made of postures that focus on waking up and preparing the body for the day ahead) to Power Yoga (meant for those looking for a more dynamic class, with more intense postures and a faster rhythm that works on building energy and strength) and Yin Yoga (a more passive type of yoga focusing on the organs and tissue health, based on slower postures). In the near future, the resort will also feature a Yoga Pavilion (now in construction) where classes of Aerial Yoga will also be included.
Details on the Yoga and wellness experiences at VILA VITA Parc Resort & Spa can be found here:
Notes to Editor:
The Algarve is the southernmost region in Portugal framed by a 200km coastline. Known for its promise of more than 300 days of sun per year, the region is home to award-winning beaches, authentic gastronomy and a range of outdoor activities from surfing to cycling, walking, and birdwatching that attracts thrill seekers, nature lovers alike. The Algarve’s 16 municipalities offer traditional and distinct experiences that allow for visitors to discover its rich heritage as a region.
For high-res imagery, please click here
Details on the Activities:
AlgarExperience – Caves & Coastline Tour
- Suitable for children aged 3-10 years old (10+ counts as an adult)
- Adults approx. £25pp, children approx. £15pp
- 3-hour experience
Vila Galé Hotel, Lagos – Discovery Scuba Experience
- Price starts at approx. £170 in a standard room, including 3 nights’ accommodation, 1 diving lesson in a swimming pool (around 60 minutes), 1 sea dive (around 30 minutes), and the necessary equipment for diving.
Four Seasons Country Club, Quinta Do Lago – Self-Guided Cycling Tour
- Prices vary depending on the time of year but can start from approx. £512pp based on a 7-night stay in a classic room, breakfast, e-bike rental and GPS with suggested routes.
Soulful Bikes – The Barrocal Route
- To rent the Harley Davidson 1200 custom (2018), the experience is approx. £118 per day.
- To rent the BMW R ninT Scrambler (2017), the experience is approx. £123 per day.
Longevity Cegonha Country Club, Quarteira – Skydiving
- The ‘Daredevil Tandem’ is approx. £126pp, including a 14,000 tandem skydive, commemorative t-shirt and a freefall certificate.
- The ‘Adrenaline Tandem’ is approx. £280pp, including a 14,000 tandem skydive, a close proximity HD video on USB, close proximity photos on USB, a commemorative t-shirt and a freefall certificate.
- The ‘Extreme Tandem’ is approx. £293pp and includes a 14,000 tandem skydive, a personal camera flyer, an HD video on USB, high-quality photos on USB, a commemorative t-shirt and a freefall certificate.
VILA VITA Parc Resort & Spa, Porches – Yoga Experiences
- Several daily group yoga classes are free for guests at VILA VITA Parc
- Private classes are approx. £53pp and approx. £66 per couple. These prices apply to every type of private lesson, including personal training, golf, aqua aerobics and Pilates.
The Algarve Tourism Bureau’s Cycling and Walking Website
- In addition to hiking and cycling routes, recommended ATA partners and points of interest can also be found on CyclingWalkingAlgarve.