Veranda Tamarin in Mauritius Re-Opens after Extensive Renovation
December 2018. Veranda Tamarin Hotel & Spa in Mauritius has re-opened following an extensive 6-month renovation. Thanks to its location on the island’s most renowned surfing locations- Tamarin Bay – the boutique resort offers extensive surfing and watersports activities for guests, whilst providing a relaxed vibe with regular musical entertainment.
Kenwood Travel (0207 749 9241 or www.kenwoodtravel.co.uk) offer seven nights at Veranda Tamarin, Mauritius from £1051.00 per person (based on two adults sharing a comfort room plus breakfast) including flights on Emirates airlines (via Dubai) from London Gatwick.
Price is based on 18 March 2019 departure.
Situated on the west coast, Tamarin Bay was made famous in the 1970s following the streaming of cult surfing documentary, The Forgotten Island of Santosha, the left-hand reef break here is legendary, enticing experienced and beginner surfers from across the globe to try out the world-class surfing spots, the ‘Dal’ (south) and the ‘Black Stone’ (north) of the bay.
The concept behind the new design was to preserve and reflect the authenticity of the destination, and the unique community spirit of the Tamarin Bay village. The resort features community spaces whereby guests can integrate with locals and learn the art of Mauritian living. Complete with modern interiors, the resort offers a fresh and contemporary retreat ideal for young guests that seek an all-encompassing and culturally immersive holiday.
The new Veranda Tamarin Hotel & Spa features an additional 50 rooms as well as fully-refurbished existing rooms. In total, the resort has 116 rooms accommodating between 2 and 3 people with views facing out towards the gardens, mountains, swimming pool and the beautiful Tamarin Bay. There are four types of rooms for guests to choose from; a Comfort Room, Comfort Family Room, Superior Room and Privilege room.
All rooms at the resort include a furnished terrace, air conditioning, Wi-Fi, a satellite television, a minibar and tea and coffee station, a safe, and a telephone. Each room also offers a beach kit that includes a beach basket, cooler, mat and beach towels.
The boutique resort’s new dining options adheres to the notion of authenticity, offering guests the opportunity to get a real taste of the island during their stay:
- YE! MAN is the main restaurant of the resort, complete with live cooking stations that serve up traditional Mauritian dishes and a variety of other delectable flavours from around the world.
- Tribu, the pool bar & restaurant is a self-service pool bar (drinks only) during the day and offers an à la carte menu in the evening, giving guests the opportunity to sample spices and exotic flavours from Mauritius and the surrounding islands.
- The Crazy Fish Bar brings Tamarin Bay’s beach culture to the resort, with a selection of lighter dishes offered during the day, and tapas plates in the evening with live jazz for an atmospheric soundtrack.
- View is one of the most scenic bars in the region, with panoramic views across the bay. Serving a selection of cocktails, fresh Mauritian juices and rums, it is quickly becoming a sundowner hotspot.
- The Kas Dal kiosk by the hotel’s entrance serves street food bites and provides picnic packs for those
heading out on a day trip to explore the island.
Guests can enjoy “The Boma”, a place for sharing around the fire that also becomes an outdoor cinema once a week, a ‘help yourself” bar with a concept based on trust, a “Table des Mascareignes” (á la carte themed restaurant) to sample delicacies from across the region, and a laundry that also serves as a place to read, play board games, and listen to music on a vintage jukebox, all to reinforce a sense of community.
Activities and Wellness
The resort’s location lends itself to a plethora of water sport and beachside activities for guests, from taking to the board with the local surfing school, to dolphin spotting, kitesurfing, boat and catamaran excursions, PADI scuba diving experiences and more.
In addition to the 2 onsite pools, an aqua-gym and a fitness centre, the resort also now features a new Seven Colours spa which introduces a wellbeing offering, including sauna and relaxation area, holistic treatments available in the four treatment rooms, as well as experiences such as yoga. Guests can also enjoy beauty treatments in the manicure and pedicure space.
Attractions in close proximity to the resort include Les Salines of Tamarin (salt pans that are over a century old), the Casela Nature & Leisure Park, the Chamarel Coloured Earth, the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Le Morne.